Saturday, April 18, 2009

Update!

I know it's been a while so here's a brief synopsis of what's happened lately:
We moved into our new apartment, and we love it here! It's a great little apartment community in the middle of nowhere and it's so quiet and our neighbors are all around our age too!

My classes are slowing down, but clinicals are picking up! I've only got 2 weeks left until finals, and I cannot wait! I seriously need a break!

My patient this week was a very sweet old man who was in an amazing amount of pain (gangrene on R foot and osteomyelitis) and I felt awful for him! I've never had a patient that was in that much pain before (and he kept refusing pain meds), so I was pretty nervous. I actually felt like I didn't know what I was doing! My nurse said that I was doing everything well, but I don't know...

I kept forgetting to do part of my assessment, and I lost track of the order I was going in, and I kept having to go back in to him. At least this week my patient actually needed me. I was forgetting the simple things and that's what was bothering me. The main thing that I kept forgetting was to put on gloves! He was in contact isolation because he has MRSA and I kept forgetting that! I'm not terribly worried, he was on vancomycin IVPB for 3 days already. But still... My instructor didn't say anything to me, which is a good thing because she WILL let you know if there is something you need to work on. She actually pretty much leaves me alone on clinicals, and will just pop her head in maybe twice and say "are you doing ok?" I assume that's a good sign that she trusts me, now if only I could trust myself...

But for now, I'm going to enjoy the first day of 70+ degree weather since October. I'm actually sitting outside on my balcony typing this, feeling like quite the yuppie!

And careplans were created by the devil. My first one took me about 15 hours to do! Ugh... I should probably start on the one for this week soon...

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment