Thursday, February 19, 2009

You can take the child out of the arts, but... yadda yadda yadda...

I had to write my first research paper for nursing this week, and you know what? I HATE APA!!! Seriously, I am much more of an artistic style writer, who likes to embellish and use big words that I learned playing Scrabble. I like an evolving thesis, I like taking risks and using rhetoric. I do not like writing a 4 page paper that is nothing but paraphrasing and direct quoting. It's even worse when they give us the sources to use and tell us we cannot use other sources.

I get that they are trying to teach us how to use APA, but are they trying to OD on badly written, student research papers? (which by the way, I'm not sure you can call it research if you gave us the topic, articles and did the research for us!)

But I digress... I did the paper, quite well actually, and in APA format, while gently weeping about how much I miss MLA...

2 comments:

  1. APA is truly awful. I'm used to AMA, AAA, and MLA. APA makes me want to throw things.

    And then you finish, and never have to write out another care plan again. :-D

    ReplyDelete